So today is a holiday - Remembrance Day - and the client site is closed. We have the day off before the axe comes down tomorrow and we find out who, if anyone, we will lose to restructuring. Hopefully not too many people will be affected. Who knows I might be on the market as of tomorrow morning. It’s generally a pretty gloomy mood out there in the oil and gas circles.
One of those things is Electron - this is really cool and it runs two of the editors I use on a daily basis:
Both of these are really cool and having never really gotten into Sublime or TextMate I really enjoy these two alternatives. In fact these new blog posts are authored in Atom and I use Code extensively at work for my PowerShell development.
Here’s my brain dump from the sessions. I should have taken more detailed notes on the Mac but the phone was more handy and I’m really starting to get into Notes.
Faruk Atesh - modernizer author
- Provide solid docs and examples, maybe a really cool reference implementation for your open source project to drive adoption
- Fragmented web? Content producers looking to monetize their content better like Facebook using their own browser (which personally I find annoying and don’t event get me started on the internet thing)
- Competing requirements - advertising vs use experience
- Metrics and measurements are dehumanizing - I don’t know that I agree with this since I was brought up in the Romanian school system I’m used to being tested.
Shean Goresht - real time on the web
- SSE, xmpp, long polling, web sockets
- SSE create event source
- sane stack
- xmpp supports p2p - I wonder if this has Android support
Local YYC guy, very active in the community.
- Native use of web tech
- Mac gap, nw.js, Electron
- node-inspector fur nodejs
- debug js in remote browsers using vorlon.js
- A very compelling talk about web accessibility, progressive enhancement and aria roles. Some solid examples of why we should respect standards and ensure our sites are accessible to audiences with a range of disabilities.
Runs a very successful gskinner.com out of Edmonton - who wants to live in Edmonton?!
- animations, HTML 5 canvas and webgl.
- very cool labs.gskinner.com - I may emulate some of this stuff, it’s awesome!